Sonntag, 20. März 2011

Weird Differences

It is about time I write again. I have had this topic on my mind for quite a while now. I have been thinking about the differences between German and American everyday things. That mostly includes groceries. It is actually really funny to come here and discover all the differences in food and culture. I am constantly surprised by things that I find in the grocery store. To begin with: milk. You can not find milk here that is lower than 1.5% milk fat. They only carry whole milk and low fat milk in even the biggest grocery stores. It is also only sold in quart sized cartons. Baking powder and soda come in packets. Yes packets. They look like tea bags! I had the hardest time finding baking powder for that reason. One of my favorite parts of the chicken is the thigh. I can't find thighs anywhere! That is not such a big deal though considering I eat mostly eggs. Speaking of which, eggs here are sold in 10 or 6, but never 12. Store bought eggs are also way better than store bought eggs in the states. The yolks are so yellow! They are actually more like orange. They have great flavor too. Then there is the chocolate. Every grocery store, convenient store, and department store has at least 2 isles dedicated to chocolate. That is not even including other candy!
There are so many little things too. Things that you notice right away when you get here. Like how the doors open opposite here. When you expect them to be push, they are pull and vise versa. The public transportation here is incredible! I have yet to see a pick-up truck. There are delivery trucks, but civilians only drive small cars (usually standards). Sunday is the day for walking, running, and biking. Everyday you will see people doing those things, but on Sundays everyone is out with their families, lovers, spouses, siblings, or alone to enjoy the air since shopping is out of the question because everything is closed on Sunday.
Most dogs are not on leashes here. Dogs are also allowed in most stores and on the bus. No questions asked.
The first floor here is the second floor in the U.S. The flusher thing on the toilets are large buttons and not the thin metal lever. They are sometimes in the wall.
I could go on about all the little stuff, but truthfully it is a different country and therefore everything is different. I just find it very interesting and thought maybe someone else would too.

1 Kommentar:

  1. I thrive off the little things. Did you know the yellow strip to signal for stops on the Green Line (MBTA T) is the same on most MBTA buses?

    AntwortenLöschen