Montag, 24. Januar 2011

Regensburg: The City That Survived

I have now been in Germany for 4 days. The air of the U.S. has left my lungs and been replaced with sparkling European air. Jet lag refuses to leave me be. Wherever I go it seems I must get accustomed to the bed and sounds of the night. I will tell you a bit about what it is like here: I live in an apartment building in Koenigswiesen (I guess it is like a part of Regensburg, but not in the city center). I live in a fairly large flat with 3 other people. It is a nice flat, at least I think so. I have my own room and lots of storage. We are also cooking for ourselves. Last night me and 5 of my new and old friends cooked a semi-traditional German dinner together. We had Wuerstchen (little sausages) and mashed potatoes with a lovely salad, oh, and of course, beer.
I want to say a smidge about the beer in Deutschland. The day we arrived here we had dinner in the Altstadt (old city). I ordered a beer at the restaurant. When most American students think of beer they think of the alcohol. In Germany it is quite different. We were told my our tour guide that the beer here is considered a form of nourishment. It feeds the body, mind, and soul. The reason for this is because apparently when the Catholic monks were fasting back in Roman times, they didn't want to become famished so they made beer. The beer was meant to sustain their bodies until the end of the fast. Today, that idea has not been extinguished. The beer here is an experience. The moment my tired lips touched the glass, all anxiety and worry disappeared. The fruity, cool, bubbly, hoppy, light but robust flavors encircled my taste buds and blew my mind. I cherished every sip. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It wasn't bitter and didn't have a nasty aftertaste. It was pure bliss. Now I know why all of the Germans I have talked to tell me that I will not be able to drink American beer anymore.
Well, now that I have consumed half of my post with talk of beer I think I should say one thing about the city. Regensburg has somehow been able to maintain its spectacular buildings from as early as 1200 to a little before that due to complete oversight during WWII. Regensburg was very important before there were cars and trains and such because it is located on the Donau (Danube) River. Rich people built houses throughout the city center. Around the time of the war, Regensburg's reputation became hidden, how I am not sure. Not a single bomb was dropped on the city. Almost everything is still there. The buildings have been turned into shops, restaurants, salons, and other businesses and they still have their structure. It is truly beautiful and fascinating. It is nothing like I have ever seen before. Class starts tomorrow.
Bis bald! (Until soon!)

2 Kommentare:

  1. My darling, girl! So happy for you. That is all I have today. Brilliant!!!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Dear Lucy,
    I can't wait to hear about your classes! I am so glad that you have this wonderful opportunity!
    All my best wishes and a big hug!
    Ich hab dich sehr lieb!
    Deine Grossmutter

    AntwortenLöschen