Montag, 24. Januar 2011

Lufthansa Flight 425, Destination: Munich Germany


I don’t even know what time it is anymore. My watch says 11:45 pm U.S. time; the screen overhead says it is 5:45 am in Munich. I am wide-awake. Sleep is not my friend tonight because a very unhappy baby is screaming mercilessly a few rows in front of me. I feel like doing the same. My throat is dry from the Cognac I had after dinner and I wish I had water. I feel bad calling the flight attendants because I know they must be resting. Luckily, outside the plane is a completely different world. The moon is full or at least it is very close. It is the brightest and biggest I have ever seen our Luna. She shines like a giant white beacon in the night directly to my right. The moon lights up the sky and all that surrounds this beast of a plane. Far below me, the clouds lay eerily still. They make our elevation of 36000 ft seem more realistic and that much more frightening. I know that beneath those clouds lays the Atlantic Ocean, cold and dark. The clear sky overhead gives a view of a few stars still visible even with the moon’s light. I am unafraid of the height or the magnitude of this journey. I feel overwhelmed by what is on the other side of the ocean, but not afraid. I am alive. I am here in this big plane on my way to who knows what. Adventure? Yes. Wisdom? Absolutely. Beer? Undoubtedly. Romance? Possibly. All things are possible. My mind is open and young. My heart is yearning and strong. My body is healthy. I can do anything. It is not corny. I am living my dream. I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. If possible, I highly recommend this. For the moment, I will let this optimism carry me the last 3 hours to Germany where jet lag will meet me at the gate. Until next time…

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen