Mittwoch, 9. Februar 2011

The Continuing Story...

I have now been in Germany for 3 weeks. I don't know why, but it feels like an eternity. This past weekend I went to Wuerzburg to visit some family. It was so great to see some relatives; people who know me and care about me. I had a grand old time with the fam: walking around the city, visiting old wealthy residencies, exploring museums, munching on Kuchen while sipping cappuccino, and living in the language. My favorite place we went to was the Residenz. It is this absolutely enormous old baroque style mansion that used to house various important officials and bishops. It reminds me of my favorite genre of literature (19th century romance). The ceilings are elaborately painted with gorgeous frescoes and gilded designs. There is one room called the Spiegal (mirror) room, because it quite literally is made out of mirrors. There are no visible walls. Outlining the mirrors are the most delicate detailed gold designs. The entire room reflects itself and your eyes almost hurt after standing in its shining glory for too long. This magnificence makes me long to time travel back to Elizabeth Bennet's time to bask in the glory of houses like the Residenz during their full glory. However, my aunt tells me that the Residenz was a Catholic building and therefore it held ZERO balls because dancing is just not Catholic. If I were the mistress of that house there would be minstrels playing every night! Alas, that wouldn't have been the case, but I can dream. I can close my eyes in those old castles and hear the hum of commotion from centuries before. I could imagine for hours about the glamor of those residencies.
Unfortunately, this Monday I woke up with a nasty cold... Poop. I hate being sick. It is lonely and depressing, especially when you are all alone. I stayed in my bed for two days wasting away behind the comfort of Grey's Anatomy and tea. I did do homework too, but that is not as memorable. Being sick makes me feel completely useless. I need to be doing something constantly or else I get antsy. I can't exercise or do much of anything. I did wash the dishes and that felt useful. Oh well. I am getting better slowly and I will go to school tomorrow.
I have been thinking about Valentine's Day... Some girlfriends and I are getting together tomorrow night to share chocolate fondue, wine, and a little bitching. I am looking forward to it, but alas I can't help longing for a Valentine. Alles Gute.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Since when do Catholics not party?? I thought it was normal to BYOB to church socials until I was a teenager and starting hanging with the non-Catholics!!!

    AntwortenLöschen